The Camden bench evolved from award-winning designs developed for Camden Council. It tackles today's street seating needs, eg being as inclusive as possible whilst resisting criminal and anti-social behaviour:
- A safer place to sit: the recesses (front and back) allow the public to store bags behind their legs out of reach of opportunistic thieves; while the lack of slots and crevices deters those wishing to stash drugs.
- A cleaner place to sit: there are no flat surfaces or crevices where litter usually accumulates. The surface is specially treated to repel dirt, water, graffiti and fly-posters.
- A more inclusive place to sit: the gentle undulations provide seating at different heights offering the perfect perch for every passer-by. Observations have shown that the Camden bench encourages more seat sharing than other, more traditional, designs.
- Easy to relocate: the bench needs no anchoring; built-in lifting eyes allow easy re-siting by truck crane (eg away from problem areas).
- Vehicle security barrier: an HMV (Hostile Vehicle Mitigation) version is available which has achieved a BSi PAS 68 rating.
- The honed concrete Camden bench is available in a variety of finishes.
Great Queen Street, Camden; High Holborn, Camden.
Metric: 2700 (l) x 550 (w) x 650mm (h)
Imperial: 8’ 10½” (l) x 1’ 9½” (w) x x 2’ 1½” (h)