The UK Highway network is one of the best in the world, it is also one of the oldest. We look at some of the issues associated with designing in the highway environment. How these issues influence other areas including pathways and crossing points and what is needed to meet requirements within the current Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB).
Highways affect every part of society and the codes of practice that need to be followed and adhered to are substantial. We delve into the standards and guidance that govern Surface Water Management and attached hard and soft landscaped areas, specifically SuDS. Simplifying and extracting only the pertinent information for the designer.
We cover the four pillars of SuDS throughout and provide a detailed section for Wildlife and Biodiversity where ACO provides a range of solutions to protect and support the migration of species across our busy network.
We also consider the importance of planned maintenance for highway drainage systems and how this can be designed for even at the preliminary stages of a scheme.
Case studies are used to demonstrate how a variety of products comply with current standards and guidance to overcome numerous problems encountered in Urban and Rural highway schemes including conveyance, SuDS, Geocellular storage systems and flow controller.
• Understanding the issues associated with surface water on highways and the associated problems
• Where to get access to applicable standards and guidance
• Understanding load classes and where they are used in the highway
• The application of surface water management products in the highway
• How SuDS (Sustainable Drainage Systems) fit within a highways context
• Understanding the design requirements for maintenance of surface water management systems
• How to integrate Wildlife and Biodiversity products to enhance a highway design
All ACO CPDs are available in-company, at the state of the art training facility at ACO UK headquarters or online.
Due to the current restrictions caused by Covid-19, we're happy to offer ACO CPDs online using Microsoft Teams.
Please get in touch for more details
- or email UKprofessionaldevelopment@aco.co.uk