What to consider when choosing a playground gate
Emergency Access: Access for emergency services is essential. An ambulance should be able to drive right up to the play area in all weather conditions with enough room for a trolley bed to fit through comfortably.
Disabled Access: A play area gate should be a minimum of 1m wide to ensure that wheelchair users are able to safely enter and exit the site. Additionally, self closing gates should allow at least 5 seconds for wheelchair users to pass through the gate unhindered.
Safety: Ideally all fencing and gates for playground and play areas should be RoSPA approved and conform to all current play area safety guidelines, including:
- Avoid opening onto roads or hazards
- Be a minimum of 1m wide
- If opening outwards, avoid opening onto roads or hazards
- Use of a self-closing mechanism for a gate with a magnetic latch to lock in the closed position. These latches are designed to be operated by adults only and children must be supervised at all times if operating moving parts.
- No hand or finger traps between gate and post
- Clearance of gate between 60-110mm – reduce foot injuries
- Height of fence should be a minimum of 1m
A full list can be found on the RoSPA website.
Jacksons recommends that gates open outwards, in order to prevent dog access, however they are best to open inwards if they open onto traffic areas to slow down children when exiting the area or set the gate back from the fence line to allow outward opening. It is also recommended having a run of Pedestrian Guardrail on the pavement in front of the gate opening to prevent children from running out onto on coming traffic.
A self closing mechanism is strongly recommended to maintain that the gate is in the closed position and should not close quicker than 5 seconds to make access easier for wheelchair users and to prevent it from striking back on children walking through.
Jacksons designs, manufactures and installs a range of gates ideally suited to playground and play areas for schools and public spaces across the UK.
Playground gates and matching fencing are RoSPA approved and conform to all current play area safety guidelines.
Click 'Visit website' opposite for more information.