Following a full redesign by Tim Rees of Trees Associates of a large private garden in Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire, Cotswold Estates & Gardens undertook this substantial landscaping project over a number of years in various phases.
- Removal of existing infrastructure of drive, hedges and walls.
- Creation of gravel parking area with redirection of drive.
- Installation of formal water feature within a parterre with informal planting.
- Construction of Cotswold stone retaining walls, steps, reclaimed stone terraces and gravel paths.
- Recreation of sunken lawn including drainage to prevent flooding.
- Planting of semi-mature cherry avenue, yew hedges and 4m-tall hornbeam pyramids.
- Creation of totally netting-enclosed potager garden.
The existing 2-acre lake was dredged and re-shaped and the excavated silt was dried over a period and used to re-model the contours of the paddock above it to provide interest and to enhance the tree planting.
A Western red cedar decking bridge was constructed across one of the weirs created to control the water level in the lake.