AquaticEngineering devises and installs long-lasting, sustainable algae control strategies.
AquaticEngineering uses barley straw to protect valuable water assets from algal blooms. Aquabalance units containing pre-activated barley straw and a culture of aquatic micro-organisms have also been used to control green filamentous algae in trout fisheries, sewage treatment works and private lakes.
• Algae analysis: allows water managers to submit water samples by post and receive detailed information within days in the form of an algae status report, including an assessment of any public health implications. Algae are identified to genus or species level, blue-green algae are highlighted, and significant zooplanktonic activity is noted.
• Analytical services: the companys laboratory offers expert biological and analytical services to local authorities, water companies and water asset managers to identify and quantify biological contaminants, and help manage the associated risks.
• Tap and hydrant bag analysis: the analysis of tap and hydrant bag samples for biological and particulate material.
Related services include:
• Identifying and quantifying existing problems with detailed water and sediment chemistry surveys.
• Dredging where necessary, and quarantining the sediment in-lake to avoid off-site disposal.
• Re-structuring islands and margins, and creating new marginal reedbeds using soft engineering.
• Managing fish populations by selective fish removal and the creation of fish exclusion zones.
• Reducing any harmful impact on wildfowl.
• Improving water quality by reducing biodegradable organic matter (BOD), suspended solids and ammonia.
• Installing long-term algae control measures.
• Re-establishing native marginal and submerged plant species.
• Creating new wildlife habitats for aquatic invertebrates, bats, amphibians and birds.