Cheltenham Borough Council commissioned IOTA to manufacture steel tree planters for a scheme to green two prime retail locations in pedestrianised areas of Cheltenham High Street.
The 5 planters were manufactured from powder coated steel, with resin-bound gravel lids, measuring 1200 L x 1200 W x 850mm H. They were built with an internal frame in mild steel box section, and powder coated to RAL 600 [Grey olive].
The planter design concept was developed by the Public Realm Design Team at Cheltenham Borough Council, with constructional detailing by IOTA.
Bespoke design elements included:
- pressed panels on all 4 sides, raised 3mm from background surface
- separate lid in 2 sections, including removable resin-bound gravel infills
- lifting eyes in base of planter for tree anchor attachment
- internal 50mm box section frame to enable planter to be safely lifted, fully-planted
- plinth with 90 x 30mm channel sections, to accommodate lifting straps
- certified lifting frame
The paint was specially originated for the project, with a finely-textured surface finish. The installation was carried out by IOTA via HIAB lorry.