The Grade II listed Cleggford Bridge is a 5 span arch bridge originally built in 1778 using stone masonry ashlar dressings. It was widened in 1889 at which point a cast iron parapet was fitted.
In 2009, ASF was contracted to work alongside CR Reynolds, the main contractor, Civil Engineers from Kirklees MBC and English Heritage in the renovation, refurbishment and re-strengthening of the cast iron parapet as the bridge was once again widened.
Following extensive site surveys and test excavations the parapet needed to be delicately uplifted. This required the smelting out of Victorian leaded fixings and the careful removal of hot rivets that were never intended to be removed.
Careful attention was paid to numbering and ordering the bridge sections (over 100 in all, each one a different size, extending to over 200 metres in total length) to ensure they could be replaced in exactly the same order.
The whole bridge parapet was then brought to ASF's factory site in Brighouse for refurbishment.
Firstly, a full metallurgists report was completed by ASF's own specialist, giving the chemical analysis of the Victorian iron, this meant that replacement parts could be manufactured to match the original product as closely as possible.
The refurbishment began with shot blasting the whole parapet by hand and surveying the work that was to be done.
ASF was able to rescue 80% of the entire parapet and 100% of the original panels by manufacturing individual cast iron sections and spindles to retro fit into the Victorian panels. A number of the older, weaker, and damaged spindles were also saved by the internal fixing of bright bar in a machined hole through the centre of the spindles.
ASF saved around 50% of the posts using similar methods and employing a modular system for post sections, so that only those parts of the bridge parapet that were absolutely beyond rescue needed to be fully replaced. Parts of the parapet that could not be saved were melted down and reused where possible.
ASF's skilled casting engineers, pattern makers and metallurgist were invaluable in this process.
The parapet was re-fitted and returned to its former glory on the newly widened and strengthened Cleggford Bridge, retaining the history and provenance of the bridge itself.
The bridge can now withstand modern heavy traffic loads.