|Maximum slope angle (deg.)||
85º (Near Vertical) - can be used to clad existing vertical structures
|Maximum wall height (m)||
Flex MSE® is a patented engineering solution providing vegetated retaining walls for erosion control, landscaping, major infrastructure and bank stabilisation.
The system uses MSE (Mechanically Stabilised Earth) principles along with geotextile technology.
Nonwoven Flex MSE® GTX bags are used in combination with patented 100% recycled interlocking plates to create strong, flexible block structures.
Flex MSE® does not require footing, rebar or specialised equipment to install.
Typical Flex MSE® applications include
- Retaining walls
- Riverbank / coastline erosion repairs
- Free-standing flood walls
- Landscaping features
- Ditch lining
- Slope cladding
- Culvert headwall repairs
Flex MSE® Vegetated Wall systems include
- 120-year design life with a 75-year warranty
- Installed in less than 2/3 of the time compared to traditional systems
- Typically costs up to 60% less compared to traditional systems
- Can be installed from horizontal (including living roofs) to near-vertical (creating 85° retaining walls and slopes), and even used to clad vertical structures to create living walls
- Can be filled with site-won materials
- Can be vegetated with native plant species
- Recommended for use on SSSIs by the Environment Agency
- BREEAM compatible
- BBA Certification Stage 3 Attained - final certification pending
- PADS approval pending
Flex MSE® bags are filled with a mixture of sand and compost, and can be formed into near-vertical (85°) retaining walls, green landscaping structures and erosion resistant sidings to rivers and coastlines.
The patented interlocking plates, made from 100% recycled materials, are placed between the layers of filled bags to add to the strength and stability of the structures constructed at a 1:1 ratio.
Flex MSE® is commonly used in conjunction with geogrid products and earth / soil anchors.
Flex MSE® is suitable for hydroseeding, live staking, live planting and brush layering.
Flex MSE® units and proprietary fill media are water and root permeable.
Flex MSE® has a 120-year ATSM rating and a 75-year manufacturer's warranty. Flex MSE® structures can withstand almost unlimited differential settlement (up to 2m over 10m stretch).
Support and distribution
Flex MSE® is distributed by Gravitas International Ltd. Gravitas is CPD accredited and is a business partner of CIWEM. Flex MSE® can be procured from dedicated dealers throughout the UK and The Republic of Ireland. System CADS are available for any project.