Hydro-Brake® Flood is a vortex-controlled solution to fluvial flooding. It has no moving parts and no power requirements and is therefore low-maintenance.
Ideal for controlling very large river and watercourse flows; from dispersed storage and control schemes with pass forward flow rates of just a few litres per second, to major dams controlling flows in excess of 10m³/s and holding back millions of cu.m of flood water.
The bespoke design and performance characteristic of the Hydro-Brake® Flood flow control can reduce the volume of flood water to be stored by up to 30% compared to fixed orifice controls; reducing land take during storm events.
Hydro-Brake® Flood flow controls have a proven track record dating back to a first application in the early 1990s.
- Proven track record in the UK
- No moving parts
- No power requirement
- Up to 30% storage saving over fixed orifice type devices
- Large open area at all flow rates resulting in:
- reduced blockage risk
- reduced flow velocities
- Future-proof - can allow for:
- variances in fluvial hydraulic modelling
- climate change adaptation
- Structurally fit-for-purpose
- Aerates the flow
- Reduces scour / erosion of outlet structure