|Contract value (£)||
16m (total project)
Newtownabbey Borough Council
Soltys Brewster, landscape design; Ostick + Williams, architects
Graham Construction, main contractor
Mossley Mill was originally a flax spinning mill, built in 1834 by Edmund Grimshaw, a cotton manufacturer. The building was saved from demolition when Newtownabbey Council bought it in 1996 and began a major restoration and conversion project.
The £16m redevelopment was undertaken in two phases.
Phase 1 restored the mill to its former condition and made it home to Newtownabbey Borough Council.
Phase 2 saw the refurbishment of the remaining mill buildings to include a community arts and cultural centre with theatre, museum and conferencing facilities. This phase also included restored civic offices arranged around a public courtyard with a water feature and mature trees.
Fountains Direct Ltd submitted detailed design proposals and worked in close co-ordination with client consultants leading to on site award, site installation and coordination with the main contractor.
FDL provided a dry plaza fountain consisting of a programmable combination of 12 vertical clear stream jets. These included illumination, water treatment, automatic top-up and level controls and a fully programmable controller.
The FDL team continue to be involved with the feature illustrating that a successful involvement in the design phase can lead to an active and efficient management process.
Work on Phase Two of the Mossley Mill civic and cultural development was completed with the opening of Museum at the Mill in October 2010.
The award winning project is now a landmark building in Newtonabbey.